Reflection 12 - Denial

فَبِأَيِّ آلَاء رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?- 55:49

Today the imam recited this surah in the taraweeh. It mentioned all the bounties of Allah this world and hereafter. Had the imam mentioned this verse one more time, I would been in tears! What an ungrateful slave am I? How many times have I heard/recited this surah, and I'm still not thankful.

Mufti Shafi in Maariful Quran says the verse is repeated (31 times) deliberately in order to awaken people and urge them to give thanks to Allah. The repetition serves the deliberate purpose of 'emphasis'.

Why has my heart hardened? Why don't I wake up?

No repetition in the Quran is redundant. The Speech of Allah is too Pure. The repetition in Surah Kafiroon2 serves a unique purpose. The repetition in Surah Rahman, according to Mufti Shafi, is each related to a new subject, and having its own significance.

Allama Suyuti terms this repetition as At-tardid.

References:

1. English-MaarifulQuran-MuftiShafiUsmaniRA-Vol-8-Page-227-282
2. Surah Kafirun on SunniPath Blog

No comments: